Winter Weather Precautions
According to the latest forecast, San Gabriel Valley can expect wind chill temperatures below freezing, reaching 32 degrees Fahrenheit, from today until Thursday, March 2.
To ensure safety during cold weather conditions, take note of these tips:
- Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning by keeping generators outside and far away from enclosed spaces, never using charcoal grills or camp stoves indoors, and not heating homes with gas stovetops or ovens.
- Do not approach or touch downed power lines and call 9-1-1 if you see any damaged electrical lines.
- Use flashlights instead of candles if possible. If candles are necessary, do not place them near flammable objects or leave them unattended.
- Wear layers and stay dry to avoid hypothermia. Have blankets on hand for extra warmth.
- Check on neighbors who may need assistance, such as older adults, people with disabilities, and young children.
For those seeking emergency shelter during colder months, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) provides temporary shelters across the county until March 2023. Visit www.lahsa.org/winter-shelter, dial 2-1-1, or call the Winter Shelter Hotline at 1(800) 548-6047 for shelter and transport services.